Saturday, June 18, 2011

Observations

Here's a few quick thoughts from Day 1 in Amman:

1)  The weather is not nearly as hot as I'd thought - it drops into the 50s or 60s at night.

2)  Outside of Amman, the landscape looks very dry; during the late afternoon, the land is covered with a light haze reminiscent of Texas summers or the Old West.  All we need is a saloon.

3) English is definitely the second language around here - most of the advertisements are in English, and a lot of people speak English passably too.  In fact, one could probably survive here without using any Arabic at all - not that I'm intending to do that.

THINGS I'VE LEARNED, PART 1:

1) Taking photos of the immigration/visa line in the airport is prohibited ("ممنوع" - mamnuu3 - in Arabic).  Or so I was informed...

More stuff, including pics, later, assuming I can either get my camera fixed, or more likely, buy a new one.

1 comment:

  1. alright! glad you landed safe and sound. remember- pretend you don't speak any english. keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete